Friday, June 15, 2012

The Smithsonian Castle

Did you know the Smithsonian had a castle?  And it sits on the Mall along with the dozen other museums.


More flowers for my aunts....
 

This is more an 'information center' than a museum but it did answer one question for me...
Who was behind this amazing collection of museums? Well, it turns out to be an Englishman named James Smithson.

WOW!  And he never visited the United States! At least not until after he died.  In this castle is a crypt with his ashes.....
  







































What a truly amazing gift to the American people.  Thank you Mr. Smithson.


Absolutely millions of tourists visit these museums every year--from every country in the world.  

Back out on the Mall I got another view of the Washington Memorial--and this tree that I think must have been here from the inception judging by its trunk and root structure.
 
 
I still had a few blocks to go to the Metro Station when these guys came whizzing by.  Believe me, I thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment