Saturday, April 28, 2012

New Bern, North Carolina

When first entering New Bern I shrugged my shoulders and thought, "Just another quaint small town."


But It did not take long to see that New Bern was a little more 'Special' than most...

First of all....It is where Pepsi Cola began back in 1898 when the beverage was called "Brad's drink". Creator, Brad, soon changed the name to Pepsi to make it sound more 'healthful'.

Banners fly from light poles throughout the town proclaiming New Bern's great contribution to the fast food and drink industry....


And even Walmart shows local pride in its Pepsi display....


I needed no further encouragement to drive around and check out the town.


As I turned left onto the street below I saw a sight I'd never seen before....Is that a train in the middle of the street? I quick checked to make sure I hadn't turned wrong--nope, I was on a one way street and there were other cars joining me along the way.


Believe me..I kept checking the rearview mirror to be sure Amtrak wasn't bearing down on me. I am not sure how far cars and trains share the same street in this town but it was time for me to turn.

The next thing(s) I noticed about the town were the bears...lots and lots of bears....


It seems that New Bern was settled by Swiss religious protestants in 1710 and they named the city for the Swiss capitol....and 'Bern' translates to 'bear' (in German, I think)

Some of the bears are majestic...

Some are colonial...


There are pirates


and waiters....

and bears at every turn.



Star Jasmine was in full bloom and the heady perfume filled the air throughout the town.


New Bern boasts 164 homes and buildings in the downtown area that are listed in the National Registry of Historical Places...



.
Some date back into the early 1700's....


And some are even for sale--This one dated to the early 1800's. I wanted to ask, 'How much?' but didn't.


And this was the tallest 'high-rise' in the town.

For a brief time New Bern was the capitol of North Carolina's colonial government and it quickly became so wealthy there was talk of making it the capitol of the 'colonies'. Now it is just a very quaint little town tucked away on the east coast on the road to the 'Outer Banks'. I think it needs some more PR.



No comments:

Post a Comment