Friday, November 29, 2013

One more time through Texas

It was hard to say 'goodbye' to Aunt Louise, we had enjoyed such a fun time together over the previous month.  But winter was approaching and I had to get to Tucson before the bad weather arrived.

First stop as I traveled south was in Calvert, Tx, where, once again, I spent a day with Ken Wilkinson at his little restaurant and chocolate factory, Cocoamodo. It had been almost exactly one year since the last time I'd been there.
Ken has a new toy he calls Bob.  "That's what that 'B' on the front of the car stands for," he informed me.  I did think 'Bob' was pretty slick--as cars go.

Next stop was in San Antonio to visit with family.  This is one of the cuter cousins--have you ever seen a more adorable face?

Denise, Aunt Cile and Uncle Merrill took me to lunch and we spent the afternoon and evening visiting. I was not sure how soon I would get back to this part of Texas but, once again, I am so appreciative of the time with family this excursion has allowed me.

From San Antonio I headed west to the Mexican border and the little town of Del Rio.  Right on the edge of the town is Amistad National Recreation Area where I spent the night.

Clearly the lake was drying up.  The locals lamented the lack of water and, like other places I'd seen on the trip that relied heavily on water sports, there were many drying, dying and deserted businesses.

But this was my view in a very uncrowded park, not everything is a negative. 

I was crossing this bridge in the morning, heading for Big Bend National Park.  I could see clouds forming in the north and west and I crossed my fingers that the weather would hold for a while. 
I'd had enough of 'Typhoon Toni', even though the locals were doing rain dances.  I do admit, these vultures were a little disconcerting.

The countryside was beginning to change and it was definitely more interesting.

As I passed through the little towns of Dryden, Sanderson and Marathon the wind began to really whip up and I was struggling to keep the RV on the road.  I don't know if the wind is what turned this semi over but it sure made me all the more cautious. 

At Marathon I turned south and finally had the wind on my tail.  And up ahead were some pretty high peaks.

Late in the day the colors made me want to stop and paint a picture.  I needed to get into Big Bend and settled before dark and I could see the land was going to be much more rugged than I expected.


  1. I'm guessing you made it home safely! Miss you!

  2. Keep it coming....interesting country...