Saturday, November 23, 2013

Waikiki Aquarium


Waikiki Aquarium
 (Part of the University of Hawaii) 
  


We took an hour and toured this aquarium right in the middle of Waikiki Beach.


It is not as spectacular as the Monterey Bay Aquarium but, all the same,  well worth the visit.



I think that underwater life is so beautiful...and so very strange.



Whatever in the world caused this to evolve in such a manner? And is it an animal?  Or a vegetable?



On my next adventure I will invest in an underwater camera and go find a reef somewhere to photograph....
 
  ...if all the reefs aren't dead by then.  
 
I probably should invest in some swimming lessons as well.  
 
   


 


Jelly fish are hypnotic to watch and I could do it all day.



I feel like I am watching a ballet as each of these creatures spreads her tutu and pirouettes across the tank.






"Wheeeee" 


This is a face that only a mother could love.


These gals were training a Monk Seal.  It reminded me of a documentary I saw a few years back called, "The Cove" about the taking of porpoises in Japanese waters to be sold to 'Marine Worlds' around the planet.  After seeing that film I swore never to spend another dime on one of those attractions...



...and I have to wonder if these Aquariums are causing the same kind of death and destruction so that we may take pretty pictures of colorful fish.



I know that seahorses are disappearing from the reefs,



and as I sit here looking at these pictures I can't help but feel distressed.



Seahorses are so precious in their design--their loss from the oceans would be unconscionable.



There has been so much pollution in the oceans over the last few years with Fukishima radiation, the Gulf oil spill, and a dozen other mishaps.



It's giving me a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment