Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Dinner-A Breakfast- A Pot Luck Lunch

It was a lovely buffet dinner punctuated with lots of laughs as various of the townspeople told tales on each other from 'back in the day'.

Finally, a meeting with the famous Dot, along with Dean and Amanda.  

Dean with his older brother, Jerry, who went through some very major surgery two days later. ( Jerry is recovering slowly and is expected to go home soon from the hospital.)

After dinner I walked down the main street of Robeline, enjoying the sunset at dusk and wishing the weather would cool off a bit.

Or just rain for Pete's sake!

I parked in Dean and Amanda's driveway for the night so I could follow Dean the next morning to Dot's famous breakfast. Biscuits,  cream gravy,  homemade jams and great conversation--it just doesn't get any better.

  George, Me, Dot, Dean, Terry, Kenny (all Lamberts)
What a lovely, and loving family and much is attributable to Dot's warm and inviting personality.  Thank you, Dot, for inviting me and to all of you for making me feel welcome.

From the breakfast I headed to the Lambert town Cemetery...

And made stops at my father's grave,

Aunt Amy Jane,

Grand Father, Andrew Jackson, and...

Grandmother, Ethel Thompson.

There are still stories to be learned and maybe I will hear them someday,


This 'Quest' is not over, and has been rewarding beyond all measure.


There are still personalities to discover such as
Great, Great Grandfather Isaac Lambert.



After the church service there was a potluck lunch and more shared stories.

I met another cousin, Arthur 'Junior' Lambert and his daughter.  Arthur told me my father was a 'real rapscallion'.  But, before I could learn more, Junior was called away by someone else. 


Mary Doolittle Jones, the town matriarch, remembered me from the year before and made me promise to come back.  I would love to.


Finally, I said my goodbyes and took one last drive through the little country towns of Robeline and Many...

Then headed back to Ft. Worth.  Aunt Louise and I were flying to Hawaii to visit my sister who lives on the big Island.  We would be celebrating Aunt Louise's 93rd birthday.

4 comments:

  1. Toni I enjoy your blog. Working with Dean brings lots of things my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed as usual Toni.....Polly is our Assist Police Chief that you met at the office. She has had the pleasure of putting her feet under Dot's table also. Keep it coming Toni......

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the comment, Polly. It was nice meeting you, too.

    ReplyDelete