Thursday, June 27, 2013

Newport and its wall art

I am making a list of my favorite towns, those that have charm, individuality, a sense of history or style or just because they feel good...



There is Breaux Bridge in Louisiana; Monterey and Bolinas in California; Bend in Oregon; and now Newport.  There are others that come close to 'favorites' but these stand out in my mind.



Newport is very much a working town, geared to fishing with a fleet of commercial fishing boats and some very large seafood companies.  Also, a thriving and very noisy family of sea lions.  If you check the rocks in the picture above you will see a few of them lazing the day away.



We went looking for breakfast and found an outstanding tiny little restaurant on the edge of town that had a wait-line out the door. I wish I could remember the name because it is worth passing on.



Then we went for a stroll to walk off the Spinach and wild mushroom omelets. About then these guys looked like I felt.



The first thing that catches your eye as you walk the waterfront are the wall murals....



They are everywhere...and huge.



Some even wrap completely around the buildings.
 
How did they even get up there to paint that one?  


 
  
 


I thought this one looked like those boats were going right down the street.


These constant reminders of bad seas were starting to make me seasick.



And they sure weren't enticing me to go deep sea fishing.




Maybe whale watching.
 
  No, these two were not on the sides of buildings...


but painted on the walls in the ladies bathroom where we stopped for lunch.  I just couldn't resist taking the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't been there in years. Some changes, I see, especially in the realm of art.
    Hope all is well with you. Mary coming over for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete