Friday, July 6, 2012

more Lancaster County Pennsylvania

The Amish split from the Mennonites in the late 17th Century due to a dispute over the doctrine of 'shunning' with the Amish taking a less liberal view of the practice than the Mennonites.


The Amish do not subscribe to insurance, pensions or social security.  They believe in taking care of their own and clearly they do a good job of it.


I saw this man returning home after a day in the fields with his matching team of plow horses.  

The men wear the straw hats in the summer and black felt hats in the winter.  

Wouldn't this make a good jigsaw puzzle?

It was hard to get a picture of the people.  If you approach them with a camera they will turn away.  But I saw this horse and buggy tied up next to a gas station.   Along the fence I saw the sign below....



I wondered how old this was....

A lot of the very old houses had porches that came right up to the sidewalk.

I came to this town on Sunday and there was not a person to be seen anywhere.

Finally I saw a bakery that was open and I went inside to visit and found out he was the only business open for miles and miles--the Amish do not work on Sundays.  They don't even leave home.  Even church is held inside their houses.
  
 
Finally--I saw this sign at a Walmart.  I bet they may also sell straw hats and buggy whips.

5 comments:

  1. You saw and learned some interesting things on this trip. Thanks for sharing your learning.

    Something else you maybe need to know. You should not photograph an Amish person. They consider it making a graven image. Even their dolls do not have faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. computer gone ,got a new one but having trouble getting
    address in .will you send me yours
    my address same...
    will check back futher on your blog.
    june

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Amish country. And I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if you remember but we lived in Wilmington, DE, just up (or down) the road from there. We really liked that area and spent a lot of time there. Loved the names of the towns - Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Paradise and Blue Ball. Its beautiful when all covered with snow as well.
    Would love to visit the area again sometime.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do remember, Jamie.
    Linda--That's probably why they turned away when I raised the camera to photograph their buggy.
    June: The email address is toniintucson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete