Thursday, September 21, 2017

Update from Tom after Hurricane Maria

Tom posted an update on Facebook. I'm sharing it here for those who don't follow Tom there.
2 hurricanes down and more to possibly come.
I have not answered texts, FB, emails, or voicemails due to lack of communications. There is occasional WIFI set up by good smaritans in town that I have to walk up to the highest building in town, I have only been using it to check weather forecasts between mandatory curfews, so most my time is spent at home watching all the barely running cars drive by and pedestrians walking by with random items and water bottles. 
I am not going to post pictures of the damage of the washed up boats, destroyed homes, or destroyed businesses as they are owned by people I know and I would not appreciate people posting pictures of my destroyed whatever if it happened to me.
I am very lucky to live in the building I am in, it is solid concrete with steel shutters over the windows and flood proof, and I have water pressure. 
The best purchase I randomly made right before this is a reverse osmosis water filter. And by the miracle of my great circle of friends from Inn at Tamarind Court, they provided our apartment building with a generator and fuel that we run 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.
I have the best neighbors ever and we all look out for each other always making sure someone is at the building at all times. 
Sadie Sea got a little beat up with the windows being blown out due to winds at 220mph. But is solid as ever and is one of 5% of the boats that survived on St John. Several of my boating friends that decided to ride the storm out on thier boats are gone. Hurricane Hole, where many boats went for protection, is a complete disaster. 
Before the first storm the Coast Guard did an amazing job of evacuating women and children off the island. As soon as it was over they were on scene immediately along with a massive military presence on island, along with FEMA. Businesses were looted at first with looters getting a nasty surprise by being arrested by federal agents and now under federal custody.
With the 2nd storm hitting many responders had to leave for safety taking more residents and thier pets off island. Resteraunts that were not damaged are providing free food, the community is strong that stayed. To those that left, it's the best decision you could have made.
 I am going to wait to see what happens with FEMAs response once everything clears up and see what a resource I can be along with the rest of the community.
Please do not like this post, share it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Tom, for the update. Thank you also, for caring so much for the Island and your fellow residents. I could see the warmth of the community when I visited and now everyone will see what it means to be true and caring neighbors. I love you much.

    ReplyDelete