Thursday, September 14, 2017

Jerry, Cherie and Salem with Janice





Next stop was to cousin Cherie and Jerry's place in a little town called Nehalem.

They live in an RV much larger than my little Spirit and I was able to squeeze into the front of theirs for a few days.

 

We had a lovely time reliving old memories while sitting in their cozy patio....


...or exploring some of their favorite spots along the ocean.


 This seagull posed just for me.  We spent two days here then headed inland to Salem.

(Jo, Janice, Me)
My Daughter Janice had a surprise for us, a ride in this bicycle drawn cart through the city....


...pedaled for two hours by this amazingly fit man with strong legs and unbelievable endurance.


 It was a great way to see the city and I learned a lot of the history from our driver.


This guy stands on the top of the capitol building.


At one time, from the late 1880s into the 1920's, the city of Salem had a whole underground marketplace with bars and brothels, shops,  walkways and tunnels.  It's closed up now with limited access down to the area but some of the citizens are trying to unearth whatever is left.


 The Chinese immigrants came to Oregon during construction of the railroad and many settled in Salem.
In the 1880s anti-chinese sentiment was so severe as to drive much of the population underground where they set up gambling, bootlegging and opium dens. Then, when prohibition came in the 1920s, speakeasies, card rooms and brothels joined an already thriving marketplace.


Suddenly the somewhat sleepy little community 
took on a whole different and very interesting aura to me.  


This was an old train bridge that has been repurposed.



A lovely park complete with a swimming hole is within walking distance of downtown.


As we traveled along I started thinking about all the different modes of transportation I have taken in my life....
The usual--Bikes, planes, trains, cars,  bus, ferry, ship, motorbike...

and the unusual--sailboat, canoe, hay wagon, a horse and a mule, hot air balloon, Segway, and even the Goodyear Blimp.
And now this rickshaw of sorts.  I wonder what I've missed.


Oops, mustn't forget the Roadtrek and Spirit.  


Our driver brought us to this little 'hidden garden'....


...that even Janice, who lives here, did not know about.



I so love a garden.


It was an absolutely wonderful tour.
Thank you, Janice.


And Thank our driver as well.

3 comments:

  1. Telll me about the Goodyear Blimp! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blimp ride was a 'going-away' gift from the publisher of the newspaper I worked for in Houston. The Blimp was in town because of a big football game held the day before. I got to ride 'shotgun' and it was one of the most harrowing experiences I have ever gone through. Too much window and not enough seat belt!

      Delete
  2. We enjoyed our visit with Toni and Jo, as usual just not enough time. Seeing Jo after several years was wonderful, just wish Mary could have been here too. Daisy is full of energy and the cutest thing ever, glad to meet her.
    Toni you took a picture of my favorite wall in Salem. I love that mural. We have only drove through Salem, never stopped to visit, we will have to put that on our day trip list. May even figure a time and place to meet up with Janice.
    Thank you again for your visit.

    ReplyDelete