Saturday, September 24, 2016

Penobscot Bridge and Fort Knox

The Penobscot Bridge turned out to be one of the easier bridges I have had to cross.  


It has only two lanes--one coming and one going--separated in the middle by the cables.  


It was so nice not to have traffic coming at me at breakneck speed on a narrow bridge.


The crossing was so uniquely pleasurable that I almost turned around and did it again.  But Instead I parked at the bottom and opted to do a tour--to the top.   


The bridge is 135' above the water but the tower climbs to 447'.  It claims to be the tallest public Bridge Observatory in the world.

 I went to the very top of the tower--by elevator.  No stairs this time.


And what a view from the top!


The Penobscot River is the longest river in Maine.  
The name "Penobscot is derived from a Native American word meaning 'Waters of descending ledge', which refers to the numerous rapids and falls in the lower" river.




  Both towers.  



It was nice to see my solar panel atop Spirit, securely attached and collecting rays. 


As I drove down the road toward Ft Knox (no, not the one with all our gold in it),  I kept passing these vintage cars.


And when I got to the parking lot I found these ladies...


...who told me they were on their way to a rally.  They seemed to be having a good time.  They said there were about 30 of these vehicles all traveling together.  


They lamented the fact that there aren't enough young people interested in restoring the old cars and when these ladies, their spouses, and the others on the tour, have to give it up then there will be no one to continue the club.  I hope that isn't true but I suspect they are right.

Observations from the road:  There are lots of motorcycle and bicycle clubs  and more each year.
There are lots more RVs too and noticeably more single women on the road.  
RV owners are mostly retired folks but it's younger people who talk to me about wanting to travel and live in an RV.  Work and school for their kids stops them from realizing the dream--naturally.
I have seen only a couple of minorities in RVs and sadly, not one black; even in campgrounds, on the weekends nor in the state and national parks.

Altogether I fear there are too many vehicles of all sorts on the roads--for a whole litany of reasons.



Fort Knox, named after Revolutionary War Major General Henry Knox was built over a period of 25 years starting in 1844.
 


The U.S. planned Fort Knox to prevent another attempt by the English to control Maine lands east of the Penobscot--something the English had successfully done in the American Revolution and the War of 1812.


Fort Knox was built to defend and defeat with its cannons and later its torpedoes.  But enemy ships did not appear while Fort Knox stood watch.  The Fort eventually became one of the training grounds for the soldiers during the Civil and Spanish American Wars.



This lovely young lady gave me a personal tour.


She informed me that Fort Knox is supposedly haunted.  It looked eerie enough to fire up the imagination.





There were all sorts of chambers below ground that I could have explored.  Hmm.  I was glad I forgot my flashlight.  Besides, I have a weak heart.

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to explore history no matter how long ago it took place.
    It is sad that people are loosing interest in the antique automobiles that helped make America the great country that it is today.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete