Sunday, March 18, 2012

MOFA--St. Petersburg, Fl

As in all gluttonous encounters, by the time you reach the last morsel you are asking yourself, "Why did I do this to myself?"


Like that last piece of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, I saved this museum until last expecting it to be the one I would most enjoy..  But after eating the whole box full--it wasn't all that tasty.


But they had a pretty remarkable tree in the front lawn--it's a Kapok Tree.


With absolutely beautiful  flowers.  Inside the museum I saw a Georgia O'keefe painting of a poppy--I liked the real flower better.

I was expecting a lot from the Egyptian exhibit but was disappointed again.  The displays were not well-lit or easy to decipher and felt sparse and 'thrown-together'.


And once more, I could not take pictures so these are from their publicity materials.


There  were however paintings by Cezanne, Monet, O'Keefe, Gauguin and Renoir and a fascinating display of tintypes from the 1840's--I had no idea that photography was that good before the civil war. But in the end I felt let down.   I am going on a museum diet for a while.

 
Onc last note--I chose the week of Spring Break to go to Tampa and St Petersburg.  UGH!  Traffic was fierce,  parking was impossible in most places, and there were car accidents everywhere--I saw three in one day.  So by the end of this day I was in a foul mood anyway--which may be why this museum was so unappealing to me.  So I am sorry if I have given it such a mean review.  But Damn It!  Let me take a few pictures and I might be able to spice it up a little.

1 comment:

  1. Wow three in one day? No wonder you were over-saturated by the end!

    I tend to be often disappointed by museum displays too, especially when I have high expectations. Take a couple weeks off and I'm sure the next one will be fantabulous :)

    ReplyDelete