Thursday, July 6, 2017

Rio Grande RR thru the Royal Gorge


Before leaving Canon City I was determined to ride the railroad through the canyon.  No, they would not allow dogs aboard the train.  
That has become a difficulty for me--what to do about Daisy when others blatantly discriminate against 'her kind'.  


 Somehow most do not realize--she is actually a small, hyperactive person dressed in a scruffy coat.


I drove the RV to the park, which was conveniently located near the train station, and parked it under the biggest shade tree I could find.  After opening all the windows, I turned on the overhead fan, left lots of food and water, kissed Daisy and dashed for the train.


There was ample seating inside, complete with food and drink service but...


...most of the passengers opted for the outdoor observation car to get the ultimate impact from the trip.


The very narrow Royal Gorge is 1200 feet deep, a spectacular canyon carved out by the Arkansas River.  Sometimes the train seemed to brush the canyon walls on the twelve mile trip.


Being one of the deepest canyons in Colorado, it is also known as the Grand Canyon of the Arkansas. 


 The canyon is also very narrow, measuring from 50 ft (15 m) wide at its base to 300 ft (91 m) wide at its top, as it carves a path through the granite formations. (Wikipedia)



Mining took place in the canyon during the 1800s and some mining still occurs extracting coal, copper, iron and fossils.


Not my idea of a vacation getaway.


A gondola crossing the rim.


The very famous Royal Gorge Bridge.


There were lots of kayakers on the river.


Okay, I am a certified yellow bellied chicken!


When I got back from the trip I drove the RV to the top of the canyon with the single purpose of walking across the bridge or perhaps doing the Zipline over the canyon. Nope, I could not do either.  I could imagine myself lying flat on the floor of the bridge, crying uncontrollably and refusing to move.  Maybe if I had a parachute. 


In 1929 Cañon City authorized the building of the Royal Gorge Bridge, which at 955 feet (291 m) above the river held the record of highest bridge in the world from 1929 to 2001. It is still the highest suspension bridge in the world.


So Daisy and I just moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment