Sunday, June 19, 2011

LPG Tank filler angle connector

There is a design flaw on the Roadtrek, or at least this model. The LPG tank is located under the driver's seat. There is a small door that opens up that allows you to get to the fill port, and the main LPG valve. The problem is that the fill port is slightly below a steel beam.

The reason this is a problem is that it makes it impossible to fill with a thick gas "wand" from a service station. The wand has to mate with the fill port straight on. But if the wand is over 1" thick, the beam prevents you from getting to the port at the correct angle.

In San Diego I drove from service station to service station trying to find one that could fill it. Finally I found a station that had a clever angle extender. The guy simply screwed the angle extender to the fill port, then attached the LPG fill want to the other end. Easy as can be.
Here is what his looked like:
What I saw...

I resolved to carry one of these angle connectors with me so I don't have this problem in the future. But it turned out to be impossible. RV stores never heard of of. LPG stores never heard of it. No one had a clue about what I was talking about.

I finally found a company out of Phoenix that understood what I needed. They shipped me the parts and I had to put it together myself. But that only took 5 minutes.

Here are the parts...
The parts I ordered


If you need to do this yourself, go to Propane Warehouse. Order the following parts:
  • 1 3/4 Female ACME x 3/4 Male Pipe (ME111)
  • 1 3/4 Male ACME x 3/4 Male Pipe (ME215)
  • 45 Degree High Pressure Steel Elbow 3/4 Female Pipe
  • Teflon Tape for Propane Gas
With shipping, the total was $106. Not cheap, but it sure beats not being able to fill your tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment