Friday, November 11, 2016

Fort Worth to Tucson

It was the end of October and the days were still extremely warm but, like the geese that were flying overhead, I knew it was time to migrate back to Tucson.


Aunt Louise, Suzanne and I  had one last adventure and returned to Chandor Gardens in Weatherford for the day.


It was a lovely day and somewhat of a reprieve for Aunt Louise as her beloved house appeared to be sold.  There was a good offer on it and it looked like the deal would go through.  For me, shedding a house is as easy as tossing out last season's wardrobe.   I admit to being attached to houses and 'things' over the years but the lure of a new adventure salves any emotional loss I might feel when I walk away.
But for her it was radically different. The house was built to her specifications in 1965 and she had lived in it for nearly 50 years before moving to Hill Villa 3 years ago.  The house was her mark of achievement as an unmarried career woman who was successful enough that she did not require the signature of a husband to realize her dreams.  It was at a time in history when that was almost unheard of.  
I do not know what it is like to have most of my memories neatly packaged up into one solitary location.  My memories flow from coast to coast, border to border, and even into a few other countries.  Home today is Spirit--and I love her but I will walk away someday with lots of memories and little regret.  


I traveled west and took a side leg to Santa Fe to spend a night with my dear friend, Alexandra.  She owns the Alexandra Stevens Art Gallery on Canyon Rd in Santa Fe.  The next time you (my readers) are there, stop in and tell her, "Toni sent you."


Alexandra collects art, I collect friends like her.  Someday she will chuck it all, buy an RV and join me on the road...I hope.


Gary is her son and he claims I inspired him to buy an RV.  (I am so sorry I did not get a picture of it).  He is now talking of the open road and living the nomad's life.  


That little black thing draped over his arm is...Tah Dah...

Lady Dog Ga

...his traveling companion.


FrankenStang 

Gary has a great talent--he creates unique cars from odds and ends of other cars.  The one above is a Lincoln in front and a Mustang in back.  Creativity abounds in this family.


I admit to feeling good about getting back to the desert.  Tucson looks and feels the same after 6 months of travel.  I love the low humidity (17%) after coming through Louisiana and east Texas. My life will now be a whirlwind of minor chores, doctor's check ups to make sure that Babe is still functioning as needed (BTW, I feel great!), and visiting with friends.  


4 comments:

  1. Tucson is great, Toni. We love the entire area there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to catch up with you! Jim was over here this a.m. working on drywalling the basement ceiling.
    We're OK around here and hanging on.
    Glad Aunt Louise's house sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magic garden she created. I'm like her and hold on to things. Letting go is always the best way. I like AZ in the winter. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I AM SO SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THE DOG THING.
    BUT EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMS POSITIVE, EVEN YOU , GLAD TO HEAR THAT.THINKING OF YOU ALWAYS. JUNE S

    ReplyDelete