Wednesday, November 28, 2012

More Civil War and Fashions to die for....

I thought I had seen the last of the Civil War when I left the south and headed west but someone urged me to visit this museum in Ft. Worth...for something unusual.



I persuaded Aunt Louise to see the movie, Lincoln, with me and, finally, I was completely satiated with Civil War knowledge.  I am determined not to visit another battleground, prison camp or museum after this.  I do, however, recommend the movie.


The performance by Daniel Day Lewis is jaw-dropping.  He looks more like Lincoln than--well, Lincoln. 


The history lessons the movie gives us are unnerving--the things Lincoln had to do to get the 13th amendment passed are debatable regarding the ethics. What was more important...to free the slaves or to stop the killing? It seems both could not happen at once. And was it more important to preserve the Union or to punish the rebels?  (As an aside, I discovered that my Lambert great grandfather owned slaves.  I am still mulling that over.)
 
But this is why I came to this museum.  There is an extensive and remarkable collection of Victorian dresses on display .



Not one dress would have fit anyone over 5' tall or over 100 pounds.  Once again I am amazed at the size difference.  And please note the waistlines.

All the clothes were beautifully tailored and mostly done by hand. Sewing machines were just coming into use at the turn of the last century but the better clothes were still done by hand.

Oooh La La!

Isn't it amazing?  In such a short time we have evolved our fashion from these elegant dresses to holey jeans and jeweled flip flops.  Isn't progress grand? 

These apparatus created bustles--or big behinds.  Wow! My butt would have been in fashion 150 years ago. I think I'll hang a ruffle on the back of my holey jeans and start a new trend.


I enjoyed the display until I came to the following poster on the wall....
 
And now I know... my jeans and sweat shirts are not so bad after all.  From those tight-laced corsets our  youth are now succumbing to anorexia and bulimia. All in the name of fashion.



 I am so glad my beaded flip flops let my toes wiggle.  Do you think, 100 years from now, there will be a display of fashions from today?  What will it show and just what will people say about it?





1 comment:

  1. That looks like a fascinating museum. I am enjoying your adventures! And hoping "Lincoln" gets to Hilo soon.

    ReplyDelete