Monday, November 9, 2015

Team River Runners Rule!!!

TEAM RIVER RUNNERS RULE!!!


The Miller Beer Company made posters for the TRR fundraiser and Tom began the task of hanging them in every spot he could find.... 

(Ryan Major, vet and Team River Runner participant)




 That's my boy, never misses an opportunity to advertise.


This shirt is from the first year that Tom met them.

(Tom, Nancy, Kate, Shelton, Ryan, Megan--check out that mirror)
Hard working volunteers at organizational meeting for the event.  First we started with the rules: Only 3 people to a kayak.  Whoever is in the kayak at the start of the race has to be in the kayak at the  finish of the race.  Any age is okay.  Middle person is the gunner with the water gun.  Any size water gun is okay. No age limit--up or down. And a 5 second head start for every $100 the business donates to the event.


(Joe Mornini, Executive Director and CoFounder of TRR)  


(Shelton Gore, Vet, Team River Runner Participant



The day before the big event all participants came together and team names were drawn to decide when and against whom each kayak would race.


This is the trophy--a blue kayak paddle--the most coveted of all prizes.  Last year's winner, Scotia Bank, is the team to beat.


OOPS!  Two teams dropped out due to businesses not having enough employees to man the kayaks and run their businesses.  Hmm, even on this lazy island work has to come first.

(Me, Kim and Lori (Ms Jello Shot Queen)
Tom had previously informed me that he had volunteered me for something to do with this event.  "Okay, sure, happy to help.  So what do I do?"  
His reply, "Make jello shots!" That turned out to be only the start of it.



Seriously?  "Tom's MOM" was going to fill in?  It must be a mistake.  I know zero about kayaking.  And I can't swim!!


Sunday morning and everyone was eager to begin.  The weather was beautiful and...


the beach was perfect.


Ryan tried out the water and declared it to be the perfect temperature.


Just awesome scenery...


and beautiful beach babes.


These were the mascots...


and I got mine.

 

The jello shot table was ready...


and declared a success.

(Kate,  Lori, Tom's Mom)
The Dark and Sexy Jello Shot Babes.


A future kayaker and mom


Shelton opened the ceremony ....


complete with the National Anthem surrounded by some of the Veterans.


The kayakers were eager to get started.


No, you need to face the other way...


Like this?


Here goes the first heat.



Did the rules mention anything about species?


Well, I found my team mates.  The criteria was that we all had the same hair color.


I bet I could beat those 'old farts' in a year or two.


I think I'm getting cold feet.  Besides, that life jacket is just ridiculous.


See Ya.

 

And we are back.  If you look up in the right hand corner you will see the Sadie Sea and how far we had to paddle.  Please note that all the other kayaks are missing from this picture.


Holy Smokes!  We made it! Laughing all the way. I didn't even care that it was last place.


The day was perfect in every way.


Crowds stayed until the very last....


It is truly an Island Event Extraordinaire.  


650 Jello shots were sold.


There must have been a secret ingredient in them.


Daddy says I can't have any Jello--I don't understand.



Once again, I could not be prouder of my son.




 Just how successful was this event?  The final total will come tomorrow. Stay tuned.


(And so will my surgery.  Son Ron will publish the outcome here on the blog tomorrow afternoon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment