Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Williamsburg, Virginia

Williamsburg is a charming little town strategically located between the York and James Rivers.  Most of the homes in the town date back into the 1700's. It was also the capital of the colonies until Thomas Jefferson had the capital moved to Richmond--he thought Williamsburg's location made the town too vulnerable.


A very large part of the town has been cordoned off where no cars or modern conveniences can be found.  If you want a real feel for colonial America this is the place to go.  All of the businesses are of the era (blacksmith, tavern, apothecary, milliner, silversmith, wigmaker, etc) All the workers are in the costumes  of the period and there is even a costume rental shop should onlookers want to participate. Washington or Jefferson or Patrick Henry may happen by to answer a question or expound on the news of the day.


But you don't have to be in the colonial village to feel the history--it is all around you.


I found this little alleyway with a small restaurant and had lunch sitting outside.  There is something calming and pleasant about not having cars around.  I think we do not realize how much noise and smell cars inflict on our surroundings.

And while sitting there this choral group came along and serenaded me.

Then back to the edge of town to find Halcyon jammed into the parking lot.  Hmm, I don't think that sign meant me.
 By the way, Janice, a few days ago I was sitting in the back of the RV typing on the blog when I looked up at the window and a man was taking a picture of your handiwork.  I jumped up to go brag to him about my talented daughter but, before I could get my shoes on, he was gone.


Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown are called "The Historic Triangle".  They lie just a few miles from each other and are connected by this wonderful road called 'The Colonial Parkway'.  The Parkway is maintained by the National Park Service, is 23 miles long and looks like the photos above and below.  There are no buildings or modern towns along the way and except for the pavement and an occasional brick bridge the surroundings look exactly as they would have in 1776.

 

All along the way are historical markers telling of events that happened in that exact spot and marked the very beginning of our country.

 

I learned that the forests are mostly 'second growth' due to a large number of fires throughout the history of the area caused by lightening or battles fought during the Civil War.  In driving the Parkway I saw deer, wild turkeys, badgers (I think) and something that looked like a wildcat. The birds are plentiful and the wildflowers are in bloom.  And only a few miles away is a Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment