Monday, May 28, 2012

Chancellorsville Battlefield

The following narrative is so descriptive and horrifying that I have very little to add to it.  I do suggest reading it all.  It seemed fitting to post it on Memorial Day.  And there is absolutely nothing to glorify about war.




The setting was so peaceful...





Orange Plank Road


 
 
 
 "The wounded stream out and fresh troops pour in.  Stretchers pass with ghastly burdens and go back, reeking with blood, for more."
Reporter Charles Page,  from The New York Tribute
  

This was an actual photograph of this same field with this notation:  "Nearly every sapling visible in this postwar view bears the scars of bullets or shells.  Many of the dead lay unburied for years."

The Union Army lost 17,500 men and the Confederacy lost 11,000 men in two days of fighting.

Note:  As I was leaving the battlefield a couple of people that were there told me there would be a re-enactment of the Spotsylvania courthouse battle the following weekend--and it was only $6.00.  They were clearly excited about the event.  I thanked them, said I didn't think I would go and I left feeling very sad.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought I'd like to see a Civil War re-enactment. Until I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU SHOWED THE STORY SO GREAT.
    & YES SAD...
    JUNE

    ReplyDelete