Sunday, October 15, 2017

Wyoming to Medicine Bow National Forest

There are two reasons why this blog is so slow this week: first, I cannot seem to catch a good signal.  I completely finished this posting when, suddenly, a message came up showing I had no wifi connection.  The next morning the entire posting I had worked on was gone.  GRRR!
Second, I hate to do a posting twice.  I am never as creative the second time around. So, Sorry.


This summer I have been trailing behind Tony and Karen. Their blog called "Rolling in a RV-Wheelchair" is over there on the right of this page and has been a wealth of ideas and insight for me.
  The drive through Wyoming was so boring I decided to check out their blog to see if they could inspire me with something of more interest than sagebrush and semi-trailer trucks. 


Well, it seems they were bored with the drive as well and opted to leave the freeway at about Walcott and head for the Snowy Range in Medicine Bow National Forest.  Of course the weather was quite a bit warmer when they headed up into the mountains but I was willing to gamble that the weather would hold for me too.  Anything to get away from the roar of the trucks on the freeway.


Once again I used the RV Golf Club free night stay at this delightful little resort in Saratoga.  They have the usual golf course, plus cabins, bar, restaurant, this cute outdoor chess game, and a pool fed by a natural hot spring.  I was all ready to spend an evening luxuriating in a hot pool but could not find my bathing suit.  I had packed it away somewhere and boy did I look for it--but no luck.  I was afraid that if I improvised with something like cut-off jeans I might get tossed out--so I skipped the spa.  


But, I am finding that bathing suit before another opportunity presents itself.


The next town on the road to  the Snowy Range and Medicine Bow was Encampment.  Just as I drove into the town I was met by a herd of steers.


And Daisy went ballistic jumping from window to window and barking her annoyance at those big dogs.


Now I was beginning to enjoy Wyoming.  



ENCAMPMENT, WYOMING
(Grand Encampment)
Elevation: 7,323 ft
Population 450

Once a favorite hunting ground of Prehistoric man, later 'Camp le Grand' became a noted rendezvous of indians and trappers.  
In 1897 mining began and in 1902, during the mining boom, the longest aerial tramway in the world was built to convey ore 16 miles from the great Ferris-Haggarty mine to the smelter at Encampment.  In 1908 the mining industry collapsed.


There is a wonderful museum that includes many of the old homes and buildings from the more prosperous days.


While I wandered around I noticed there was a person up in the tower watching for wild fires I presume.  He never once stopped scanning the horizon and I realized how critical that job has become.


STAGECOACH WAY STATION

The station was located on Lake creek at its confluence with the North Platte River.  Built in the 1870s it was used as a way station for the U.S. Cavalry stationed at Ft. Steele.


The absolutely best part of this town is that it provides free parking for RVs with a dump station that asks only for donations.  Now, how welcoming is that?


The weather was turning threatening and I wasn't sure I had made a good choice to drive over the Snowy Range.   It was a long way to turn around and go back to the freeway though and besides, I was starting to see lots of antelope.


This little guy convinced me to tackle the mountain pass.  I would just not spend the night in the mountains but continue on to Laramie.


Not only was the temperature dropping but the trees were broadcasting autumn.


We climbed another 1000 feet and I started to wonder where I had stashed my jacket.  Probably the same place as the bathing suit.



Boy, was she puzzled.  


Where's the grass?


There were some snow flurries but the road stayed free of ice.  I am sure, however, that I needed to be down from there before nightfall.


The sky was as breathtaking as the mountains.


 This is NOT a black and white photo.


Nor is this one, taken at the very top.  


I am very glad I ventured off the freeway.  This was a wonderful diversion.


Thank you, Karen and Tony for the inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. You are brave Toni, to drive over the pass in October! It sure does look beautiful covered in snow. I'm glad that you enjoyed the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the inspiration. It was certainly beautiful though probably not too wise of me to chance the trip. I'm headed back south now but one day I hope to catch up to you two.

    ReplyDelete